Re: Warped parts

Bruce Smith

On Sep 21, 2009, at 1:36 PM, richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

Last night I got out a PFE?R-30-18 kit that I bought?a few?years ago.? It is the plastic injection molded flat kit by Pacific Freight Enterprises.? While it has been stored in what amounts to a basement with no temperature extremes and no windows to let in heat from sunshine, and no other source of heat, the two sides and the floor are warped.? They weren't warped when the kit arrived those few years ago.? Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I also recently got mildly ripped off in a eBay purchase of an Intermountain PFE express reefer kit that turned out to?have a badly warped roof and a body with sides bowing out (bowing in is what I usually see and those are easy to deal with).? I may replace the roof if I can't get the warp out.? I'm open to suggestions on these problems, too.?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon
Richard,

If these were resin parts, the bowing would be pretty easy to correct. Either heat them to 150 degrees for a few minutes on a flat surface (make sure to check the oven temp with a REAL thermometer) or boil some water, turn it off and dip the part in the water and then lay it out on a flat surface to cool. This may also work with styrene, but you should test to make sure that the heat will not be too much (I doubt it will as styrene is usually more heat resistant than resin). You may also need to increase the time span to get the effect with styrene.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL