Re: Blackstone Models UTLX tank cars

Robert kirkham

Hmm - I didn't realise it was just the trucks that changed! That makes these even more viable for standard guage - trucks remaining an issue. I wonder if their (Blackstone's) trucks can be converted by replacing the bolster.... between the frames? They look fairly nice on the web - but I have not seen one out of the box. <http://www.blackstonemodels.com/access/>

Rob Kirkham

From: "Jack Burgess" <jack@yosemitevalleyrr.com>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 3:18 PM
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Blackstone Models UTLX tank cars

Rob wrote:

I don't think this has been mentioned here so thought I'd bring it up: I
just became aware of some dealer web pages that mention that Blackstone
Models is apparently doing the GRAMPS tank cars in narrow gauge.
These were
converted UTLX cars, and while I'm uncertain, I think Blackstone is doing
both frameless and framed versions. While narrow gauge models
would be only
partially useful to us (the tanks - and you can build your own or use
Precision Scale models), I just sent them a polite enquiry
suggesting they
either bring out the same model on proper standard gauge frames, or work
with a resin manufacturer to do a standard gauge frame or frames.

It would be neat to have this car available in standard gauge HO!

Rob Kirkham
As has been mentioned before one this list, the D&RGW Gramps frameless UTLX
tanks cars were built as standard gauge cars and the D&RGW only changed out
the trucks to convert them. So, these "narrow gauge" cars could easily be
reconverted to standard gauge. However, the challenge is that the cars
should have 5' wheelbase cast "Bettendorf-type" trucks which are difficult
to find. Richard Hendrickson described one approach to this problem in his
article on using the Precision Scale kits in an article in RMC many years
ago...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com