Re: Western Prototype Modelers Meet 2009

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hi Group,

Heading for the clink here... Judge, have mercy...

It seems to me that the UP is the only major railroad to not 100%
dieselized.

If I remember correctly, the 844 (or 8444) was never stricken from the
roster. This, from a Santa Fe fan, is an amazing fact as the ATSF
wrote off steam locomotion in 1959. Yes, I know that the last fires
were dropped in 1958, but it was not until 1959 that the great
scrapping of the best locomotives known to the US were sent to scrap.

And one has to admire a railroad that believes that steam era freight
cars should be coupled to a high stepping 4-8-4.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 21, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Mike Brock wrote:

Hmmm, donning my judges robes, there appears to be a few comments on
the
STMFC regarding the past blunderous, idiotic moves by UP regarding
trade
marks with respect to MRing, etc. As many are aware, I created a
Yahoo group
to discuss aspects of trade mark, copyright, licensing etc...the LICEN
group. It is still available for discussion if anyone feels the need
for
such. In the meantime, the STMFC is not the place for such
discussions.

Removing my judges robes...Aaaah, much cooler...I will add that I
feel sad
that there weren't significant UP modeling activities at the Western
meet.
If I had been there...and if I could have figured out how to transport
models, that would not have been the case. For those that lament
that UP
models weren't there, fear not for Cocoa Beach...because they WILL
be there.

Interesting. On the one hand, UP acts with seeming arrogance and
stupidity.
On the other hand, they are the only major RR that runs a steam
program.

Kinda odd...no UP models in the western meet, many in the Florida
meet.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner