Re: PFE reefer colour schemes

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rob McLearr wrote:
I need some help, I am modelling the Cajon Pass region during the time period of 1947 to 1949 and I thought that I had the colour scheme for PFE reefers down pretty right, but I may have made some errors, I was assuming that the colour scheme should be reefer orange sides and boxcar red roofs and ends, with black hardware and underframe. But I have read somewhere now that the roof and ends should be black, somewhat like the SFRD cars, I don't know if this is correct or not, or did PFE change their colour scheme sometime during my time frame, or worse still for me just before it.
You had it right the first time, Rob. PFE cars did get black roofs and ends in the 1960s, but not in your time.

Publishers of books on railroad history