Re: PFE reefer colour schemes

Dick Harley

On Tue Sep 22, 2009 Rob McLear asked about PFE reefer colors between 1947 and 1949, and whether there were black ends and roofs.

First a question: Rob, where did you read that?

I've spent well over two months during the past year reading PFE lettering drawings and looking at photographs to prepare a database for PFE paint & lettering schemes from 1925 to 1980. I know of Black metal roofs in the 1920s, but the ends were Metallic (freight car red). I know of Black ends during the 1960s and early 1970s, but the roofs were Light Gray, Aluminum or White. At no time between 1925 and 1980 am I aware of black roof AND ends at the same time on PFE reefers.

A couple additional points:
PFE reefers were painted something very close to what modelers call "Daylight Orange", and not "Reefer Orange".
The black-painted side hardware was removed from the PFE paint scheme in January 1949, though the side sills or tabs were still black. End hardware was always the same color as the end.

Clinics have been presented at the UPHS convention and WPM San Bernardino. Clinics will be presented at Naperville this year. The data will eventually get put on a website and/or published within the next year, I hope.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach, CA