Re: PFE reefer colour schemes

Dick Harley

On Tue Sep 22, 2009 Tim O'Connor pointed to some photos in Rock Island and PRR books.

Well geesh, the weird photos always show up in books I do not have and would not think to look in. Thanks very much for the references, Tim. I'll try to track them down. It will be interesting to see when and where those cars were painted. Other inputs are certainly welcome.

And as Tony wrote, there clearly are a few cars that get painted something other than what the plans say. I know it's true for UP and PFE, and likely for all other railroads too.

It's hard enough to sort out and document the "official" painting and lettering schemes that PFE created. These occasional 'errors' make the job interesting, but more time consuming and sometimes frustrating. My interest is in providing correct information to manufacturers and modelers so that they don't go and produce a dozen road numbers with a painting & lettering scheme that is at best one- of-a-kind - like maybe InterMountain does. There are so many prototype PFE painting & lettering schemes possible that it really frustrates me to see folks do bogus schemes.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach, CA