Re: Blackstone Models UTLX tank cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Dennis S. wrote:
I'd also give building a new center sill for a class X car a shot, starting with a frameless model, since the wide frame added to the narrow gauge conversions looks like more trouble than it's worth. If anyone goes this route, before casting covetous eyes on other tankcar kit underframes, be aware that the class X cars predate the general adoption of 12" cannel for center sills, and the prototype used 15" channels. This is the car MDC tried to model years ago, but somehow managed to double the depth of this already hevier than normal sill.
Yup. I always assumed MDC made the frame so darn big so they could weight the car thereby. There was certainly no molding need for so big a part.

Publishers of books on railroad history