Re: Modeling UTLX type X and V (was Blackstone Models UTLX tank cars)

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

As has been noted here before, Precision Scale offers a plastic kit
for the UTLX 6500 gallon type V in both HO and HON3. The HO kit does
need some detail changes beyond simply 5' wheelbase trucks to be
correct (following Richard's article), but it is a nice starting
place. Precision Scale also offers an HON3 "narrow frame" version of
this tank car, as apparently, so will Blackstone...
Bruce,

You posted while I was typing before. I'll keep your comment about the "narrow frame" car being a better starting point for a standard gauge class X car in mind.

Since you and Jack have both looked at these cars, what do you guys think about the quality? Are the tank moldings decent, and do the fit together well? What do you think about the walkway? Fragile?

Downstairs I till have a brass tank PSC imported years ago, and their castings for the tank saddles / bolsters, but it needs walkways, and every time I think I should work on it, I seem to find something else to do. If I find a better way to model one or two of these cars, I'll turn the brass tank into a storage tank at a bulk oil dealer, which is where I found the Van Dyke car I can't locate the photos of. That car didn't have its walkways, either.

Dennis