Re: FW: [Ops-Ind] marking "Buffalo" grain-loading cars -1951

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Interesting, I've heard other reasons given for the PRR triangle and NYC
Star. I'd like to find the article to read it.
The star being cars that were supposed to stay on line (Terry Link's
website) and the Triangle having to do with maintenance, Not aware of any
PRR boxes having grain doors either. (at work so I don't have that source
handy).
Brian Carlson

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:05:26 -0600, Aley, Jeff A wrote

Forwarded from the Railway Ops group.

-Jeff

"The white triangle is the new Pennsylvania Railroad designation for
a PRR Class A boxcar to be loaded with grain and other milling
products, and returned to Buffalo for reloading, when empty. Such
cars are specially coopered to make them tight and dry for grain
hauling, and they are equipped with special grain doors. ....you
already know that the New York Central marks its Buffalo grain
service boxcars with a white star." The lead-in question says the
white triangle is centered between the railroad name and car number.

Another tidbit from Railroad magazine. July 1951 page 67.