From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Brian
J Carlson
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 4:56 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] FW: [Ops-Ind] marking "Buffalo" grain-loading cars -1951

Interesting, I've heard other reasons given for the PRR triangle and NYC
Star. I'd like to find the article to read it.
The star being cars that were supposed to stay on line (Terry Link's
website) and the Triangle having to do with maintenance, Not aware of any PRR
boxes having grain doors either. (at work so I don't have that source handy).
Brian Carlson

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:05:26 -0600, Aley, Jeff A wrote
Forwarded from the Railway Ops group.

-Jeff

"The white triangle is the new Pennsylvania Railroad designation for a
PRR Class A boxcar to be loaded with grain and other milling products,
and returned to Buffalo for reloading, when empty. Such cars are
specially coopered to make them tight and dry for grain hauling, and
they are equipped with special grain doors. ....you already know that
the New York Central marks its Buffalo grain service boxcars with a
white star." The lead-in question says the white triangle is centered
between the railroad name and car number.

Another tidbit from Railroad magazine. July 1951 page 67.