Re: CP model to fit a paint scheme

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Guess what? The guy who wanted me to find out what car he needed for his 'Stepped Lettering" decals had my Oct. 94 RMC!

Thanks for all the help!!
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Rhodes" <farronhill@...> wrote:

Thanks, Tim, for that clarification.

As others have pointed out, there is good detailed info in the Jim Little articles in RMC in the
October 1994 and March 1995 issues, where variations within the CPR number "series" have been broken
out in detail.

My focus was on car numbers that could be seen on "similar" cars with the "stepped block" scheme,
but of course you're quite correct that "similar" glosses over a number of variations in detail that
can be of interest to modelers. CPR in the timeframe often spread its orders around to different car
builders, which sometimes but not always resulted in different construction details, appliances etc
in the resulting cars. I understand from discussions on the list that this was a fairly common
practice amongst US railways also.

So to accurately model a specific car or group of cars from the same builder at the same time, I
agree the "series" I quoted are too broadly drawn.

Thanks
Doug