Re: Sunshine L&N Boxcar kit # 85.1

charles slater

I just checked and I do have that kit and my floor is about .040" short, and I will just shim the ends when I assemble it.

Charlie Slater

To: stmfc@yahoogroups.com
From: atsfcondr42@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:47:12 -0700
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine L&N Boxcar kit # 85.1

Ill fitting parts is usually not Martin's falt, many times it can be traced back to the pattern maker not engineerg it correctly or taking a short cut by using a part from another kit and modifing it to fit the new car instead of just making a new part.

I have done this myself using floors and roofs from other similar cars to keep from making new ones, and sometimes we have no information on exactly what a floor for a certain car actually looks like.

But if the floor is two feet short there is a real problem, it sounds like the car had the wrong floor put into the kit. On the cars I do for Martin, all the parts are cast at the same time in the same rubber mold so if there is any shrinkage all the parts still fit.

Martin has in the past put togather a kit by taking ends, floor, roof and sides all from other kits and creating a new car, and not always testing the fit or even building a finished model from the parts.
At any rate Martin will fix the problem just call him and he will take care of it.

Charlie Slater

Pattern Maker

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: fleeta@verizon.net