Re: Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol. 19

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mark Feddersen wrote:
Speaking of war emergency boxcars, does anybody know why Intermountain chose to paint the roof of their C&NW version gray? As far as I know they were the same box car red as the rest of the car and the Viking roofs were not galvanized. Can anybody shed some light on this or is this another Intermountain goof?
I have no idea what color those C&NW roofs may have been, but I'd sure be surprised if the Viking roofing was not galvanized. That had been essentially standard since the 1920s and was extensively used even before WW I.

Publishers of books on railroad history