Re: ACC Applicators

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

This is a copy of my reply to the same inquiry made recently on the Passenger Car List:

Three lessons from life about the useful application of ACC from tubes:

1) When puncturing the tube opening, avoid any inadvertent squeezing of the tube so that the contents are not under pressure to pour out.

2) *Never (ever!) allow these tubes to rest in any other position but UPRIGHT (I keep square styrofoam scraps with V-shaped cuts in the middle designed to hold these tubes)*.

These simple two directives above will result of having a tube of ACC that- a) can last usable for months on end; and b) has a tip free of any clogging.

3) Do not apply glue directly from tube, but only into a tiny intermediate puddle (Westerfield technique) from which actual application is made by needle or similar. Even then, let the glue flow from the tip without squeezing the tube except perhaps with imperceptible pressure at the very bottom.

Instead of glass for puddling, I use small squares of aluminum foil reinforced by folding the edges. I puddle the very tiniest drop, and I use steel sewing needle applicators in holders (superior!), rather than pins. I keep an old razor blade handy to constantly "peel" off any dried ACC on the applicator tip.

I purchase Asian-produced ACC tubes in bulk at flea markets for about @ $0.15, and have been doing so for some years. Occasionally, I get a dry tube, or a tube of ACC that sets so fast one does not have time to work it, but on balance this stuff does exactly what I want and expect it to do at very little cost. My current tube was opened for use this past May, and the tube, the applicator, and the glue remain quite usable.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento