The most common Offset Twin

Bill Welch

The most common version did not have the ever so slight "swale" along the bottom of the side sheathing but was straight along the bottom edge of the car's side. The L&N and C&O had thousands of these and the Southern had approximately 3,000. While one can "get there" using Athearn and Atlas models, both involve removing molded on grabs and replacing with wire. The Athearn example is not up to modern standards in that the inside of the car is not modeled correctly.

Dennis, my apologies for leaving Accurail off the list I wish would do this car. If you do it, please do not cast the grabs in place! Personally, I don't care about the sill steps. There are only four per car. But on hoppers the many grabs are out there for the world to see and need to be modeled with wire, as with IM's covered hopper and Athearn's Airslide.

Bill Welch