To: STMFC@...
From: danspach@...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:55:32 -0700
Subject: [STMFC] Re: ACC Applicators

This is a copy of my reply to the same inquiry made recently on the

Passenger Car List:

Three lessons from life about the useful application of ACC from tubes:

1) When puncturing the tube opening, avoid any inadvertent squeezing

of the tube so that the contents are not under pressure to pour out.

2) *Never (ever!) allow these tubes to rest in any other position but

UPRIGHT (I keep square styrofoam scraps with V-shaped cuts in the

middle designed to hold these tubes)*.

These simple two directives above will result of having a tube of ACC

that- a) can last usable for months on end; and b) has a tip free

of any clogging.

3) Do not apply glue directly from tube, but only into a tiny

intermediate puddle (Westerfield technique) from which actual

application is made by needle or similar. Even then, let the glue flow

from the tip without squeezing the tube except perhaps with

imperceptible pressure at the very bottom.

Instead of glass for puddling, I use small squares of aluminum foil

reinforced by folding the edges. I puddle the very tiniest drop, and

I use steel sewing needle applicators in holders (superior!), rather

than pins. I keep an old razor blade handy to constantly "peel" off

any dried ACC on the applicator tip.

I purchase Asian-produced ACC tubes in bulk at flea markets for about

@ $0.15, and have been doing so for some years. Occasionally, I get a

dry tube, or a tube of ACC that sets so fast one does not have time to

work it, but on balance this stuff does exactly what I want and expect

it to do at very little cost. My current tube was opened for use this

past May, and the tube, the applicator, and the glue remain quite

usable.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD

Sacramento