Re: Sunshine X 29b Kit - oversize door

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Nice job, Tom! Your advice to those that have the early Sunshine kit is
right on.

I would also add that in the earlier Sunshine kit based on the C&BT kit, one
has to widen the door with styrene strips, and also add additional height to
the door, which does make the door proper dimensions, but the door is still
not the best rendition of that particular 7' Youngstown door, and the sides
have overly large rivets. Even so, it makes up into a nice model, and the
side sills and underframe provide the proper look and that odd X29 truck
spacing that characterizes these cars.

The bash I did with the Branchline car produces a superior X29B, as the BL
car is simply beautiful. Sides, doors, ends and roof are all excellent
renditions of those components. I have set aside a number of BL kits for
these X29 bashes.

The X29D will require more work, and I am mystified as to why no one has done
this model as a resin kit. It would be useful to many, many modelers, and
was quite numerous. Still, I plan to bash the BL 8'-door kit, but I will
have to create an underframe and side sill master, which will be a lot of
work, and also bash an overhanging diagonal panel roof. The late IDE ends
from BL are perfect.

The later X29 rebuilds (X29E, X29F, X29G) will have to wait until someone
either finds a prototype sitting in someone's yard, who can then look at the
underframe, or someone finds the drawings in the archives; the late rebuilds
had highly modified underframes, with, I suspect, both added and relocated
cross-bearers. Rich Burg, Ian Fischer, and Greg Martin have all talked to me
about these cars, and I think we need to do good research so those that
pursue them can do them right. Since these cars also had side sills that
mated to the side using extended interior side posts, both the side sills and
underframe will all require a new master.

No, none of the plastic cars lettered X29B, X29D, X29F, or X29G are even
close. Back when I was young I bought several of these.

All these X29 rebuilds are beautiful cars, and deserve to be offered to the
modeling population. They are one of those groups of cars that strangely,
remain undone in any form. If any of you have "pull" with the resin guys,
let us know!

Elden Gatwood