Re: ACC Applicators

Jared Harper

I am not at home now so cannot check the brand, but the CA I purchased at the Cincinnati NMRA convention is still going strong. I purchased two regular and one thick in a tube. The first of the regular containers is about half full and still going strong. The other container of regular is in the frig. waiting for the first tube to run out.
Jared Harper
Athens, GA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

This is a copy of my reply to the same inquiry made recently on the
Passenger Car List:

Three lessons from life about the useful application of ACC from tubes:

1) When puncturing the tube opening, avoid any inadvertent squeezing
of the tube so that the contents are not under pressure to pour out.

2) *Never (ever!) allow these tubes to rest in any other position but
UPRIGHT (I keep square styrofoam scraps with V-shaped cuts in the
middle designed to hold these tubes)*.

These simple two directives above will result of having a tube of ACC
that- a) can last usable for months on end; and b) has a tip free
of any clogging.

3) Do not apply glue directly from tube, but only into a tiny
intermediate puddle (Westerfield technique) from which actual
application is made by needle or similar. Even then, let the glue flow
from the tip without squeezing the tube except perhaps with
imperceptible pressure at the very bottom.

Instead of glass for puddling, I use small squares of aluminum foil
reinforced by folding the edges. I puddle the very tiniest drop, and
I use steel sewing needle applicators in holders (superior!), rather
than pins. I keep an old razor blade handy to constantly "peel" off
any dried ACC on the applicator tip.

I purchase Asian-produced ACC tubes in bulk at flea markets for about
@ $0.15, and have been doing so for some years. Occasionally, I get a
dry tube, or a tube of ACC that sets so fast one does not have time to
work it, but on balance this stuff does exactly what I want and expect
it to do at very little cost. My current tube was opened for use this
past May, and the tube, the applicator, and the glue remain quite
usable.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento