Re: Those Pesky Offset Twin hoppers

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Bill;

Many of us share your frustration, and some of you have also had these same
conversations with manufacturers over the possibilities of offering modular
parts on more than box cars. Hoppers and gons are a good example of what can
be done, and was nicely executed on the Accurail 41' IL gon, albeit without
additional options (different ends, for example). This is an especially good
option on gondolas, which standardized on certain lengths, and then had sides
of different construction, as well as floors of steel, wood, or nailable
steel, and a variety of drop and fixed enmds, all of which can be swapped
around.

It has been patiently explained to me that the realities of assembly costs
and engineering sometimes force manufactureres to go to more fool-proof
one-piece bodies with simple add-ons, rather than more complex multi-piece
bodies.

A study of the variations on the standard and alternate standard offset leads
one to the conclusion that some compromises will have to be made to do either
car in a majority of those roads rostering them, unless a highly modular and
innovative alternative is developed. The variations in IL, interior shape,
rivet patterns, side sills, and especially height, are many, and probably the
reason one has not seen more variations in model form. Snapping all those
pieces together on a modular hopper slope sheet/hopper bottom assembly gives
one pause to see what could go wrong given a few dimensional errors or fumble
fingers!

Here's hoping someone will take up that challenge...

Elden Gatwood