From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
laramielarry
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:32 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] When is the grain rush?

Hi Folks

When is the grain rush? The reason I ask is that for the next Union Pacific
Freight Conductors' Train Book I transcribe I would like to choose a report
that includes the grain rush. My Train Books are all for the U.P. mainline
between Laramie and Rawlins, Wyoming, and are primarily from 1937 to 1939.

Two of the books I already transcribed cover mid-September to the 3rd week in
October, and there is not a hint of a grain rush. For example, in Fitz's
report there are only 20 cars (of 2,362) that appear to be carrying grain of
any sort.

I assume that Sept-Oct is too early or too late for the grain rush. Or
perhaps the grain rush did not manifest itself on the U.P. transcontinental
route during the Depression?

Thanks,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming