Re: When is the grain rush?

Aley, Jeff A

Larry,

After looking at the excellent data that John Hile provided, I think an obvious question arises. Did grain need to be shipped (via the UP between Laramie and Rawlins, WY) to get from the farm to the [flour] mill?

I think the answer is "no", but I don't have the ICC data to prove it. I suspect that KS and NE wheat was milled in KC, Omaha, or possibly Minneapolis. WA, OR, and ID wheat was probably milled in Seattle, Portland, or Minneapolis, or exported from Seattle or Portland. In none of those cases would (much of) the wheat travel over Sherman Hill.

Regards,

-Jeff

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:33 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: When is the grain rush?

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "laramielarry" <larryostresh@...> wrote:

Hi Folks

When is the grain rush?
Larry,

I have the following from the 1954 World Book Encyclopedia regarding wheat and wheat harvesting...

Average Production in Twelve Leading States over a Period of Ten Years:

State - Bushels
Kansas - 126,060,000
N. Dakota - 75,820,000
Oklahoma - 48,419,000
Washington - 48,198,000
Montana - 42,550,000
Ohio - 42,003,000
Nebraska - 41,085,000
Illinois - 34,580,000
Texas - 28,195,000
Indiana - 28,154,000
Missouri - 26,875,000
Idaho - 24,194,000

Named for when planted, there is "Spring-Wheat" (planted in spring, harvested in summer) and "Winter-Wheat" (planed in fall, harvested following summer)...

Spring-Wheat Region: N. Dakota, Montana, S. Dakota, Minnesota
Winter Wheat Region: Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, eastern Colorado, northeastern New Mexico.
Spring and Winter Varieties: Columbia River Basin, including the Blue Mountains in eastern Oregon and Washington.
"Soft Grain" Varieties grown "in rotation with other crops": Ohio, Illinois, Indiana

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.