From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of john66h
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:33 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: When is the grain rush?

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "laramielarry" <larryostresh@...> wrote:

Hi Folks

When is the grain rush?
Larry,

I have the following from the 1954 World Book Encyclopedia regarding wheat and wheat harvesting...

Average Production in Twelve Leading States over a Period of Ten Years:

State - Bushels
Kansas - 126,060,000
N. Dakota - 75,820,000
Oklahoma - 48,419,000
Washington - 48,198,000
Montana - 42,550,000
Ohio - 42,003,000
Nebraska - 41,085,000
Illinois - 34,580,000
Texas - 28,195,000
Indiana - 28,154,000
Missouri - 26,875,000
Idaho - 24,194,000

Named for when planted, there is "Spring-Wheat" (planted in spring, harvested in summer) and "Winter-Wheat" (planed in fall, harvested following summer)...

Spring-Wheat Region: N. Dakota, Montana, S. Dakota, Minnesota
Winter Wheat Region: Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, eastern Colorado, northeastern New Mexico.
Spring and Winter Varieties: Columbia River Basin, including the Blue Mountains in eastern Oregon and Washington.
"Soft Grain" Varieties grown "in rotation with other crops": Ohio, Illinois, Indiana