Re: UTLX tank cars

n40015@...

Larry,

I believe that this is what is coming from Sunshine Models, although it will
be a complete kit that includes an Intermountain tank. Apparently the holdup
is getting someone to etch the brass details that are to be included in the
kit: platforms, ladders, etc. I'm as eager as anyone to get these kits on the
market. Sunshine's earlier ACF 8,000-gal insulated tank car makes an
absolutely stunning model. They're a challenge to build, but the builder's
efforts are well rewarded. The new X-3 tank car was designed to greatly
lessen that "challenge" and still yield an outstanding and versatile model.

Charlie

In a message dated 3/9/1 9:00:08 AM, ab8180@wayne.edu writes:

<< 3-5-01

This is a revision of a note I sent to John Nerich's NYB&W website. The
discussion by Richard Hendrikson about the need for UTLX tank cars prompts
me to repeat it:
Why couldn't one of the detail parts makers (ie, Detail Associates,
Tichy,New England Rail Service,etc)make a separate UTLX X-3 style
underframe in styrene that could be fitted to the several available tanks
from Tichy, Intermountain(especially Intermountain),and Red Caboose,perhaps
with a center sill that would be cut to length to suit the particular
tank.This could result in accurate UTLX models without the investment in
die work needed for the whole car, especially the tank. AB or K brake
options could be provided too.The data needed is available in the Car
Builder's Cyc and on museum cars.
I would think the "prototype conscious" crowd would provide a customer
base for such a part, even if not for complete UTLX kits. Remember that
UTLX was like PFE- the cars all looked much alike but were around in huge
numbers and went everywhere. Everybody needs a few!

LR King