Re: SFRD Reefer Questions

Tim O'Connor

WC and WI are West Wichita and Winslow as your friend thought.

There were many types of replacements for "cotton waste" -- some
are listed in the CBC's but I can't find any reference to Miller
or Atlas lubricators.

Tim O'Connor

Does anyone know the answer to the following question?

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
A friend found SFRD 14970, an Rr-34, on the ground in western New Mexico recently with the lettering mostly still legible (the black was mostly worn off, but the orange underneath had faired better than the orange that hadn't been protected by black). The car has a paint date stencil PTD 10-58 WC, as well as a CONDEMNED WI 9-71 stencil by the number. Anybody have a list of maintenance location codes they can point me to? I have a hunch WC is West Wichita and WI is Winslow, but I'd like to make sure.

The car also has a couple of other interesting stencils: "Miller Lubrs. applied -58, do not add waste. If defective notify test department" and below it, "Atlas Lubrs. RPKD (illegible) SB (illegible)." Were these different types of lubricator pads used in lieu of cotton waste for wicking oil to the bearings in the plain bearing trucks?

Evan Werkema