Re: SFRD Reefer Questions

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 13, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Bob C wrote:

Does anyone know the answer to the following question?

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
===================
A friend found SFRD 14970, an Rr-34, on the ground in western New
Mexico recently with the lettering mostly still legible (the black
was mostly worn off, but the orange underneath had faired better
than the orange that hadn't been protected by black). The car has
a paint date stencil PTD 10-58 WC, as well as a CONDEMNED WI 9-71
stencil by the number. Anybody have a list of maintenance location
codes they can point me to? I have a hunch WC is West Wichita and
WI is Winslow, but I'd like to make sure.
That's correct.

The car also has a couple of other interesting stencils: "Miller
Lubrs. applied -58, do not add waste. If defective notify test
department" and below it, "Atlas Lubrs. RPKD (illegible) SB
(illegible)." Were these different types of lubricator pads used
in lieu of cotton waste for wicking oil to the bearings in the
plain bearing trucks?
Yes. The Santa Fe experimented extensively with various types of
patented journal lubricators in the late 1950s.

Richard Hendrickson