Re: Friends of the Freight Car Shirts

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 14, 2009, at 5:36 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

Now, I also detected some invidious comments about "the other shirts"
seen on the backs of handsome worthies on occasion at both
Naperville and Cocoa Beach, i.e. those with the lovely colorful
Hawaiian prints . There is a difference: the Hawaiian shirts are pure
Pierre Cardin, as it says clearly on the labels. If I am not
mistaken, the FFC shirts are instead labeled something like Joe's
Coney Island Tee Shirt & Boiler Shop.
Denny, are you now fomenting shirt envy? For shame, sir. Hawaiian
shirts aren't my style, but they have obviously provided the occasion
for some amusement and camaradarie at Cocoa Beach and need no further
justification. At any rate, the Pierre Cardin label, whatever it
might once have meant, has been cheapened by the fact that there are
shirts with that label in almost every bourgeois shopping mall in the
country, so no big deal. And my FFC polo shirt (which is NOT,
notice, a tee shirt) is by Outer Banks, a maker with a reputation for
quality. So let's hear no more sneering at FFC shirts, just because
you don't happen to have one.

Richard Hendrickson