From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Richard Hendrickson
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:15 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re:When is the grain rush?

On Oct 14, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Dave Evans wrote:
I would assume that large eastern city bakery's would buy the grain
when prices were low, and stockpile it while prices remained low,
perhaps even carrying inventory into the following year's early
harvest period in case prices went high during the initial harvest.
Can I jump in here? I don't know much about the grain business,
but do BAKERIES buy grain? I'd assume they buy flour from the milling
companies who make it from grain, so what BAKERIES think about grain
prices is indirect.
Point well taken. And bakeries bought flour from whoever sold what
they needed at the lowest prices. Case in point: the ca. 1938
freight car photos from the Los Angeles area which are to be
published in the (as yet still unprinted) Speedwitch Media Focus on
Freight Cars Vol. 2 included a number of Lehigh Valley flour cars
carrying flour from the mills at Buffalo, NY to a large bakery in Los
Angeles. There surely were flour mills much closer to LA than
Buffalo, but the cost/quality of the flour from Buffalo apparently
made it worth the expense to ship it all the way across the country.

Richard Hendrickson