From: "Larry King" <ab8180@wayne.edu>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 9:07 AM
Subject: [STMFC] UTLX tank cars

The
discussion by Richard Hendrikson about the need for UTLX tank cars prompts
Why couldn't one of the detail parts makers (ie, Detail Associates,
Tichy,New England Rail Service,etc)make a separate UTLX X-3 style
underframe in styrene that could be fitted to the several available tanks
with a center sill that would be cut to length to suit the particular
tank.This could result in accurate UTLX models without the investment in
die work needed for the whole car, especially the tank. AB or K brake
options could be provided too.The data needed is available in the Car
Builder's Cyc and on museum cars.
I would think the "prototype conscious" crowd would provide a customer
base for such a part, even if not for complete UTLX kits. Remember that
LR King