USRA composite gondolas

Bill Welch

The L&N's USRA composite gons ran into the 1950's with the only change being AB brakes. They also built 1000 near copies of this car equipped w/cast side frame trucks and lacking the flat diagonal brace attached to the end panels, which is easy to cut out on the IM model.

For those who don't like mixing wood and styrene, I created a pattern for Speedwitch for resin sides for this kit. I did this after building new styrene sides for the two models I built. I also think by using individual styrene strips, it more effectively modeled the individual boards by making them more understated, yet still noticeable. This enabled my to attach the sides w/Testors liquid cement. With the resin side one would use ACC of course. I also think a more secure bond to the IM side is possible using AAC with resin in place of wood.

Bill Welch