Re: Athearn Blue Box kit usefulness

pwkrueger <kruegerp@...>

Is there a better alternative for the quad hopper than the old Athearn BB kit?

Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I would take exception that none of the Blue Box Athearn offerings
are useful anymore. Their panel side twin hopper, probably intended
to represent the USRA twin but because it was designed to fit one
mold base, does not, is a pretty good representation of a steel
hooper owned by the Southern to the tune of 5000 cars. Aside from the
usual cast on grabs, there is a flange across the bottom sill of the
side. Otherwise it fits the height and length of these cars nicely

Their offset twin hopper does come with angled heap shields and is
the only example of this offered in 1/87th. One more reason for a
more modern approach to these cars.

Then there is their 40 foot steel boxcar. While I know some modelers
prefer their gondola as a source for rivets, I prefer the boxcar for
harvesting rivets. I need to check w/my hobby shop and double or
triple my order for some more undecs!

Bill Welch