Decal artwork (Was: Athearn Blue Box kit usefulness)

Jack Burgess

Jerry wrote:
Although possible in Photoshop, I would hesitate to do so. I use
CorelDraw which is a vector based program as do various decal
manufacturers I have dealt with and/or do artwork for. I did one
just yesterday for a C&NW war emergency boxcar as I'm not happy
with the shade of paint on the Intermountain one.

Jerry Glow
I think it depends on what you have to start with and what you want to end
up with. Forty years ago, I hand drafted artwork to make dry transfers for
all of the YV equipment I might build (although my information sources were
much less then) and have since scanned that artwork and manipulated it in
Photoshop to provide artwork for decals. I have also developed HO scale
decals from photo scans. OTOH, I have also used CAD to make full-size YV
stencils (1:1) for several still-existing pieces of YV equipment using
photos as the basis. These CAD drawings were also used to produce HO (and O
scale) decals. I think it all depends on what you have to work with and your
skill with the available programs. In my case, I know CAD and Photoshop much
better than Illustrator...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com