Re: Missing links

Armand Premo

Richard,My original post initiating this thread indicated a regional bias.I expected that,but even within regions there seems to be little or no consensus on the most needed .Reefers and tank cars on the one hand stock cars and hoppers on the other.However there seems to be a greater degree of interest with rebuilt single sheathed cars .The variety is staggering.Even flat kits would be difficult to produce and market by other than resin sources.Cross kitting,if I can use that term, would offer one solution.I am doubtful that any company would undertake such a project .Des Plaines' Viking roof has provided options otherwise not available.A variety of sides,ends and under frames would find a market.Fearing to offend some of our brethren,"Ready -to-Run" will not provide the variety that we seek.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Hendrickson
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Missing links

On Oct 26, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Armand Premo wrote:

> What did I get myself into? This thread has offered many
> suggestions,but
> there seems to be so many differing ideas as to just what is needed
> that
> coming to any degree of consensus seems next to impossible.

And you're surprised? Come on, Armand, what prototype modelers most
need varies all over the map according to the date and location they
model. The eastern RR guys foam at the mouth about hopper cars,
whereas the five hopper models I already have are about four more
than I really need. Lately we've had a thread about southeastern RR
ventilated box cars in watermelon service. Now, I'll grant that
those cars traveled widely in the off season when they were used as
XMs, so I can maybe justify having one, but definitely not with the
ventilator doors in place and a load of watermelons inside. Out
west, watermelons weren't an important crop and what there were of
them were usually shipped in stock cars.

I'm a strong supporter of Tangent Models because I think David is
making intelligent choices of prototypes and is raising the bar on
quality and accuracy, but I'm not going to buy one of his new gons
for the simple reason that the first of them were built about a year
too late for me to operate them on my 10/47 diorama. On the other
hand, as we've recently been discussing, many list members have
little justification for USRA box car and gondola models because
almost all of them had been retired or rebuilt by the 1950s.

No wonder consensus seems next to impossible.

And, having said that, I'll propose some prototypes that I think many
of us really do need. Certainly the UTLX X-3 and GATC Type 30 tank
cars that others have mentioned are high on the list for just about
everyone, as they were very numerous all over North America from the
1930s through the 1960s. How about postwar AAR steel box cars with
3/4 IDEs and 10'0" IH? Several major RRs owned bunches of these,
including NYC, B&O, C&O, NH, and SP. Personally, what I most want
are single sheathed box cars built before 1932, as these cars are
ubiquitous in the train and yard photos from the 1940s and '50s. The
problem is, there were hardly any two alike, so what's a manufacturer
of styrene models to do? Sure, a lot of them are available in resin,
but building the number of such cars I need from resin kits would
consume a lot of time an effort I'd rather devote to other things.
I'll support the idea of a good model of an MDT wood reefer, as
well. Personally, I only need one (if that) but they were very
common in the eastern half of the country throughout the steam and
transition eras and had, at various times, a wide variety of
different P/L schemes. I'd really like a good styrene model of a 6K
gal. HP chlorine tank car; unfortunately the Trix disaster poisoned
the well on that one. I think there's a good market for a 6K gal.
three compartment AC&F tank car, too, as there are many authentic P/L
schemes for those, including some colorful private owner versions for
the train set bozos.

Anyway, talk is cheap. What manufacturers need are not yet more
ideas for future projects but detailed drawings and extensive photo
and data coverage. Even being able to provide those is (as some of
us know all too well) no guarantee that something will come of it,
but without them the brightest idea in the world is a non-starter.

Richard Hendrickson