Re: Tangent G-70-12 for other classes

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ed Hawkins wrote:
The bodies of the cars were identical. The G-70-8 cars built in 1951 were originally painted black with white stencils. Technically, the Tangent model is actually more accurate for the G-70-8 because these prototype cars came with U.S. Gypsum brake steps that the model replicates nicely. The G-70-12 cars had Kerrigan brake steps, which were a rectangular open grid similar to Apex Tri-Lok. In addition to coverage of these SP gondola cars in Tony's book, RP CYC Vol. 19 has a comprehensive 53-page article covering all prototype cars . . .
Ed is correct, as photos in my book show. The other, very minor difference is that different draft gear was used in the two classes, and careful examination of the draft gear opening; in the car end will show the difference, but this is below the level of significance that any but the most meticulous modeler would recognize.
I hope that Tangent will presently release a black G-70-8 too!

Publishers of books on railroad history