Illinois Central Reefers was Re: Naperville

Bill Welch

My memory is that Sunshine did an IC steel reefer. Martin does sell decals and his PDS would be a source for paint scheme and photos.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Nov 2, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

And I'd like to add Stan Rydarowicz as an emerging resin kit maker
Stan has kits for PFE, IC, FGE/WFE/BRE, and NP reefers, as well as
some kitbash kits. And many detail parts too.
I'd like to ask a question about Stan's Illinois Central reefers. I
tried to search the archives, but "IC" and "Reefer" get you every
entry with "ice" and few folks actually spell out Illinois Central ;^)

I picked up two IC kits, the series 50000-50229 and 50300-50499.
Stan indicated that these were built in 1938 and 1941 respectively.
My ORER indicates 229 and 200 cars respectively, reporting marks "IC".

Can anyone provide more information, and perhaps an indication of
where I might find some photos? The directions with the kits have no
prototype information and little to none on what accessories these
cars had. I'd also love to know what color to paint them ("yellow"?)
and if there are any decals currently available (Stan indicated that
Jim Singer might be releasing some).

BTW, these kits are resin sides and ends or just resin sides
(depending on the car) that fit an IM reefer "core" and are available
with or w/o fans (I went w/o)

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith