Re: 1947-era Covered Hopper Question

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ralph Heiss wrote:
Please excuse a question that may be very sophmoric as well as being burried somewhere within the message archives, but I was wondering if someone could enlighten me to the use of covered hoppers in food stuff service, circa 1947.
I realize that covered hoppers go back to the late 1930's, but were typically used to haul chemicals and cement, not grains, as they have been almost exclusively since the 1960's.
The issue is this - I have a friend who wants to model a brewery circa 1947, so would ANY of the incoming grain/malt/barley have been delivered in covered hoppers, or would it have all still been transported via boxcars? The RR in question is the NYC, the locale New York City.
A perfectly reasonable question, Ralph, and though I don't know about NYC specifically, the early covered hoppers were VERY dominantly assigned to cement service. Some cars in chemical service were evident by about 1950, but they were then a small minority. I would seriously doubt grain/malt service in covered hoppers in 1947, with box cars of bagged product far more likely. Some bulk shipping in box cars took place too, but that was primarily in the harvest-to- elevator shipping.

Publishers of books on railroad history