Re: [CDN-frt-cars-n-ops] 8 Hatch Canadian Reefers

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Garth Groff wrote:
Do you think the GTW cars also carried meat, or might they have been in some other service? If so, does anyone on this list know of a major meat packer in GTW territory who might have shipped to California for export? I suppose one could also check a late 1950s ORER to see if any GTW reefers had meat rails or other special equipment. (Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and can't do that.)
Remember CN was GTW's parent, and the car may have been loaded on CN somewhere. I don't know why meat would be shipped to California for export, as Canada has perfectly good ports on both sides of the country. All the CN cars in the ORER with overhead tanks are AAR RAMH cars, meaning they are meat cars and have brine retention tanks, beef rails, and heaters.

Publishers of books on railroad history