Re: 1947-era Covered Hopper Question

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Fred Freitas wrote:
I need to ask at this point >>> in 1942, Scully yard on the Panhandle had 6 tracks added on to for the purpose of inspecting grain shipments before passing through Pitts. area. If I understand you, the PRR did not use their equipment for this purpose. Now I question what cars were used in the grain business from 1942 to 1954. Off line covered hoppers appear to be the right idea; eg: SP, GN, UP, and midwest RR's. Anyone care to enlighten me, and others who may still wonder.
I'd say box cars in 1942. SP had no covered hoppers yet, GN had only 5, etc.

Publishers of books on railroad history