From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] 1947-era Covered Hopper Question
To: STMFC@...
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 3:11 PM

Sorry, Fred, I did not add that grain on the PRR was shipped in box cars. I
have several photos of PRR cars with grain doors fitted, in that service.
PRR also used box cars, fitted with temporary grain doors, and extra sealing,
for flour, also. I have color photos into the 60's of PRR box cars covered
in white flour. PRR did not start using covered hoppers in grain, barley
malt, flour, etc, until the late 50's, or 1960 (the latter I think) when they
bought some Airslides, and then in 1964 or so, they bought a bunch of high
cube covered hoppers specifically for grain, and other food products. The
H30, H32, H33 and H34 were all bought for cement, sand, chemical additives,
and other non-food products.

Elden Gatwood

From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@ usace.army. mil
<mailto:elden. j.gatwood% 40usace.army. mil> >
To: STMFC@yahoogroups. com <mailto:STMFC% 40yahoogroups. com>
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 2:12 PM

Ralph;

I cannot tell you with certainty, but for comparison, the PRR did not haul
food products in covered hoppers until much later, and only then, in giant
new covered hoppers like the PS-2CD.

Elden Gatwood