Re: 8 Hatch Canadian Reefers

Tim O'Connor

Tony

I see what you mean... but "GT" (not "GTW") had hundreds of
the overhead brine reefers. Was the "GT" reporting mark used
for cars that generally travelled to the US?

My only shots of GT/GTW reefers are of a "GT" wood reefer in
Portland Maine in the 1960's. It has paint-outs that seem to
betray its origin as GTW, not GT.

Tim O'Connor

The Grand Trunk Western is a US railroad . . .
Yes and no. There was a Grand Trunk Western Railroad
Company, and a Grand Trunk Railway System (lines in the U.S. east of
the Detroit and St. Clair rivers). Both were CN-connected, but Tim is
right that we usually think of the GTW. In 1953, the GTW had about
9800 freight cars, only 230 of which were reefers; at that time, none
were shown as all-steel cars having overhead ice tanks. The same was
true in the January 1958 ORER.
Tony Thompson