From: "Ross McLeod" <cdnrailmarine@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:08 AM
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NYC box car that went far...

Of course, if rules were followed, the choice of route and destination were limited
because of tariffs and other regs. re crossing the border.

US freight tariffs permitted many overhead routings thru Canada, inconnection with a thru rating all authorized routings/gateways had the same price.
One of the rules I don't have any insight into is how the "shortcut" for US traffic heading between the Atlantic seaboard and the Mid-West across southern Ontario was dealt with in terms of customs tariffs etc.

Handled "In Bond", Seals intact, Customs manifest required for both countries.
US cars in British Columbia:
Lumber from British Columbia went to many destinations in the USA, from many origins, to many destinations, multiple routing choices, lumber was either sold direct by the producer or by lumber traders selling cars on the roll, there were a multiple of factors that made this business line more complex than the routing/shipping patterns of other commodities that were pretty straight forward after the first shipment. Lumber for the most part moved as single car shipments, multiple gateway/routing choices meant an opportunity for any railroad to participate in the routing by route solicitation or car supply (by agreement with the originating carrier). Lots of competition/interest for this business between the railroads. Foreign cars seen in Canada in some cases were specifically supplied empty for lumber loading. US railroads had "offline" traffic offices in Vancouver or Seattle to target this business. Lumber was a highly competitive business requiring
much more resources to service than other lines of business.

I am not suggesting that the NYC car was sent to BC for loading, just that not every foreign car seen in BC moved loaded into the province, some were supplied empty for loading.

Ross McLeod Calgary

http://www.flickr.com/gift/