Re: Modeling LCL

Jack Burgess

Clark...

On the Yosemite Valley Railroad, the head-end brakeman unloaded LCL at each
station along the line as part of the work on the Local....the car was not
left for a following train to pick up unless there was so much LCL destined
to a single station that unloading it would have taken too long. In that
case, that car would have been loaded entirely with LCL for that station and
another car loaded with LCL for all of the other stations. The Local arrived
at the end of the line (El Portal) around 3:00 am and LCL for that station
wasn't unloaded until the following morning. Although most of the LCL was
being dropped off, there were some pickups such as empty drums being
returned to a refinery.

The type LCL freight received at El Portal varied. The main customers were
the Yosemite Park and Curry Company (primarily food, liquor, drums of salad
oil, etc.), the National Park Service/Department of Interior (cartoons of
papers, office furniture, etc.), and the El Portal Market (food). The
Gardiners who owned the motel in El Portal were also recipients of cartons
of beer every month or so. One El Portal resident received a couple cases of
dog food each month (I found this interesting since we fed our dogs table
scraps even in the 1950s). Other people were receiving household
furnishings, etc.

One report I consulted listed the number of items for each recipient,
together with the weight of the freight. On one extra busy day (1/3/43)
there were 56 pieces of freight totaling 2,179 pounds delivered over the
line.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com