Re: Masochism: The Building of a Sunshine Standard Brands Vinegar Ta

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

"pierreoliver2003" pierre.oliver@sympatico.ca pierreoliver2003
Thu Nov 5, 2009 6:35 am (PST)

Pierre Oliver writes-

I've built 3 [vinegar car kits] to date....

Now, there might be someone's definition of true masochism!

As you've yet to install the handrail I would suggest that you look
at the PSC tank car stanchions rather than the cast units in the
kit. The cast ones ones are brutally oversize as are the elbow
castings for the corners.
Pierre, that is exactly my plan. The PSC (#32110) stanchions are
pretty precise, enough IMHO to overcome the fact that they are a
totally different article than those cast resin stanchions in the kit
that supposedly replicate the prototype. I am also using PSC's 90ยบ
pipe elbows.

I had presumed that I had the stanchions in inventory (left over from
a previous project), but I did not- nor do any of the larger hobby
shops from which I have made inquiry. When I talked to PSC directly,
they mentioned that these stanchions have become a very popular item,
which I would chalk up to the current high hobby interest in tank
cars. Caboose Hobbies told me the same thing.

These small PSC items become pretty pricey when one factors in PSC's
$30 minimum mail order charge (shipping still extra!).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento