Re: NYC box car that went far...

Ross McLeod <cdnrailmarine@...>

Rob if I understand your area of modelling interest correctly I think you have picked an area with lots of traffic potential, I believe you are modelling a time and place ie Vancouver from the end of the CPR tracks five miles east?

The CPR barge slips will give you an outlet for both PGE and the E&N and the GN/Yorke slip will give you an outlet for pulp/paper boxes plus a few inbound chemicals, fuel cars etc. As well you have many docks that can be included - I think the Evan Coleman dock operation at the foot of Columbia St would suit your modelling needs perfectly, variety in both commodities being handled and car type. See the City of Vancouver Archives  CVA1184-1882, 1184-1889, 1184-1890.

As for the time frame that tugboat operators or shippers set up subsidiary companies to handle their carload rail transportation needs, I see from a 1922 NYC Division Circular that lists both Kingcome Navigation (M&B subsidiary) and tugboat operator FM Yorke as participants in rail rates for Transcontinental Freight Traffic, both of whom would fit your time frame and location. I know Yorke predates this time, unsure if Kingcome was handling freight break bulk or via car barge at this time.

I think you will find anything shipped inwards by barge will return either loaded or unloaded to the same barge slip.

Of the listing of companies you have provided as operating marine routes into BC only Kingcome operated rail barges as well of course CP & CN. Some operators are missing from the listing including both Waterhouse and Union Steamship on the freighter side but both companies also show up as participants in the NYC Division Circular.  Gulf of Georgia was also involved in rail barge towing but probably only as a operator for some other firm.

Have you thought about including traffic to the CIL plant in James Island which would have been handled over the CP barge slips? Nothing like a few cars of high explosives to live up the operations session.

Of the CPSS listings (CPR British Columbia Coastal Steamship Service) some are facilities where freight is handled only by break bulk in steamers. Of the car barge serviced destinations some would have had rail trackage but others simply a dock where the freight cars were loaded directly on the barge. Similar to some of the Interior Lakes barge stations at James Island they use to winch the cars off of the barges.

As for the Great Northern operation they must have had enough traffic to run a daily train to Seattle when combined with their New Westminster/Brownsville traffic. Most of the pulp traffic would have gone GN, David Davies in his 1968 article in Canadian Rail #210 (reissued in The Sandhouse Vol 32, #4, Issue 128) gives the volume of traffic handled example would be Kingcome Navigation 26 cars runs week days Vancouver to Powell River plus makes three times weekly trips to the mill at Harmac. Should give you a few cars to run across the diamonds on Powell St plus some odd cars to switch out for the CNR or CPR interchange.

Almost overwhelming the number of opportunities to demonstrate the flow of cars in your layout especially if the False Creek traffic is included.

Since you and I appear to be the only ones still interested in this thread maybe we should take anything further offline.

Ross McLeod Calgary

http://www.flickr.com/gift/