Non-Proto trucks on a Proto 2000 car

Dean Payne

I had forgotten, but Proto 2000 trucks fit differently from most others, which makes it more difficult to swap in a set of trucks from another manufacturer. Case in point: I'm trying to use my Tahoe arch bars on a Sun Oils 10K tank car, but the shoulder on the frame won't allow it without modifications.
Do I shave off the shoulder? I think I did that years ago with a Proto 1000 USRA gon (for Andrews trucks) and I don't think I was happy with the results, too much wobble? (Those were Red Caboose Andrews trucks, and I wasn't very experienced, so perhaps I could do it better.)
Or, do I modify the trucks by reaming them out to fit shoulder? It appears to be somewhere between 1/8" and 9/64", but I am loath to buy a special drill size just to ream out two trucks!
What do you do? Any problems using the Proto trucks on other cars? I think I remember using them on a F&C CV auto car successfully...

Dean Payne