Re: Non-Proto trucks on a Proto 2000 car

brianleppert@att.net

I checked one of my P2K tank car kits and found that it does seem to have a 1/8" boss for mounting the trucks, much like Athearn's, so you will have to enlarge the bolster hole on the (old) TMW trucks. I would suggest using either a round file or a #30 drill (.1285").

I'll take this opportunity to announce that I've made some changes to my truck tooling. For one, the hole in the truck bolster is now bigger and solves the above problem. The hole now measures about .130" diameter, which matches that on Accurail trucks.

Also, I have read on this list that the tops of Dalman sideframes were hitting the body bolsters on Red Caboose X29/ARA box cars. If RC had done their tooling accurately, there would have been enough clearance. But since they didn't, I have lowered the Dalman sideframes a little bit so that now, with a washer to raise the body for proper coupler height, I think things will be OK. I don't feel that the lower sideframes are noticable.

I hope these changes help.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian J Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Dean: I have never had a problem using TMW trucks on Proto. I have used
Dalman and Buckeye (AAR Spring Plank) trucks

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY