Re: Express box brake system layout

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bud Rindfleisch1 wrote:
Does anyone know of any diagrams or plans showing the underfloor layout of brake components, piping and train and steam lines on express boxcars like SP, and DL&W 40' steel cars? I'm guessing the reservoir, cylinders and AB valves had to be passenger train compatible.
I don't have a drawing for the SP cars, Bud, but as far as I can tell from photos, the brake gear is LOCATED the same as on a freight car. You're right, the brakes had to work in passenger service, but did not have to be the SAME as passenger brake gear.

Publishers of books on railroad history