Re: Express box brake system layout

steve l <stevelucas3@...>

I'd imagine that the same brake gear could very well have been used. Troop sleepers used two sets of Wabco AB-1-B brake gear. It is similar in appearance to freight AB gear, the only difference being that the control valve was fitted for graduated release to work in passenger trains.

Steve Lucas.

Bud Rindfleisch1 wrote:
Does anyone know of any diagrams or plans showing the underfloor
layout of brake components, piping and train and steam lines on
express boxcars like SP, and DL&W 40' steel cars? I'm guessing the
reservoir, cylinders and AB valves had to be passenger train
compatible.
I don't have a drawing for the SP cars, Bud, but as far as I can
tell from photos, the brake gear is LOCATED the same as on a freight
car. You're right, the brakes had to work in passenger service, but
did not have to be the SAME as passenger brake gear.

Publishers of books on railroad history