Re: Union Pacific B 50-17 Boxcars, Steel Sided Rebuilds

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 10, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Bob McCarthy wrote:

Howdy,

We are doing research on this group of boxcars.

Do any of you reading this list have any images beyond those
found in MAINLINE MODELER, May 1991, pp.82-85?
I have a number of additional images which I can scan for you.

From comments in the article, it appears that the underframe
on this group of cars was similar, if not exactly the same, as the
PFE underframe. Can anyone comment on whether this is a fact.
The underframes were not Bettendorf, as on some PFE cars, but they
were a heavier (50 ton capacity) version of the twin-center-sill
railroad-design underframes used on other PFE reefers of similar
vintage and had five cross-members between the bolsters, whereas the
PFE cars had only four.

Richard Hendrickson