From: "Gene" <bierglaeser@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:04:56 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [STMFC] Re: 8-hatch reefers

There is an article in the June 1940 Ry Mechanical Engineer beginning on page 211 about CN refrigerator cars with overhead ice bunkers and 8 htches. These are all-steel, 4/5 square-corner Dreadnaught ends, hinged doors, Dalman trucks, and Ajax hand brakes. The CN built 100 with the first one completed in October 1939.

Way back when there was a Northeastern or Ambroid model of such a reefer as I now recall. I have one but it is packed for moving. My recollection is that the model had wood sides. Does anyone remember this model? Was it of a CN or CP prototype?

Gene Green
heading towards the badlands of New Mexico