Re: Painting Trucks- using a blaster as a modeling tool

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

Don't have a grit blaster? Go get one. Those of us who have them
regard them as an absolutely essential modeling tool, on a par with
a good air brush.
Absolutely, I have done a clinic on blasting at the Cocoa meet in the past. You can do numerous things with a blaster:
a.. remove paint
b.. prepare surfaces for new paint with better adhesion
c.. clean metals for soldering
d.. remove solder residue
e.. remove glue residue
f.. remove mold release from resin parts
g.. remove lettering while leaving existing paint (change numbers)
h.. remove overzealous weathering while leaving existing paint

Grit - while researching my clinic I found that there appear to be multiple standards for grit size. Simply asking for 220 grit may not get you what you want.

I use the grit from North Coast Models. It is extremely fine and I suspect finer than many wind up using. I can blast plastic at 80+ PSI on plastic with no loss of detail. The size of the grit is more important than the pressure when it comes to preserving detail.

The North Coast cabinet comes with two nozzles. The larger of the two is great for stripping paint off models and more the size gun you would use for auto work. The other is a very small tip. You really need a small nozzle also for detail work. Honestly I think you need two guns, but if I had to choose I would pick a small airbrush size gun/tip.

Ned Carey