Re: Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars (GN, WP Interchange At Bieber)

Allen Rueter

Al,
Actually my interests lie a little further north, the OT, if you have a GN time table, does it not show
the ruling grades?, the one steam era one I saw once did. GN was known for trying to run trains
at maximum tonnage. If you look at Austin & Dill's book, you will see double headed N-3s. As someone else pointed out, it's fairly flat K-Falls to Bieber. It may of been that GN only shows the local on its scheduled , all through trains could extras. ETTs are only a clue. I know from talking to a conductor of my
other favorite, the Wabash, that an extra ran seven days a week for years, yet it doesn't show up
in any timetable, making it look like there were more east bounds then west bounds, when it really was closer to equal, but tonnage wise it was more west bound (got to love that coal).

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

Sent: Mon, November 16, 2009 10:37:42 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars (GN, WP Interchange At Bieber)

Allen,
Thanks for the reply. Since you are researching Bieber in 1947, I'll assume we share somewhat of a common interest in that place and time.

My freelanced railroad (Burney, Redding & Western) interchanges with both the GN and the WP in Bieber. I have some questions, which you may have some information about, regarding the coordination (or lack thereof) of the WP and GN arrivals and departures in Bieber. Did the bulk of the GN train become the WP and vice versa? If so, why are there twice as many WP trains as GN (I recognize the timetables are ofset by 2.5 years, which might explain the whole difference)? I'd like to see a GN timetable from 1947 or a WP timetable from 1950 for Bieber to come arrivals and departures.

I have an original WP Western Division Timetable (34) dated June 1, 1947. I also have a copy of a GN Klamath Division Timetable (10) dated January 1, 1950.

The WP timetable lists four "regular / scheduled" trains per day arriving or departing Bieber:
1) Eastward 2nd Class #154 Western Pacific Fast Freight arriving 2:00 AM
2) Eastward 2nd Class #178 Western Pacific Fast Freight arriving 10:40 AM
3) Westward 2nd Class #153 Western Pacific Fast Freight departing 12:30 AM
4) Westward 2nd Class #177 Western Pacific Fast Freight departing 1:00 PM

The GN timetable lists two "regular / scheduled" trains per day arriving or departing Bieber:
1) Eastward 2nd Class #386 departing 3:00 AM
2) Westward 2nd Class #387 arriving 6:55 PM

Again, I'm curious how the cars were routed / forwarded through Bieber to/from the GN to/from the WP.

Thanks in advance.

Al Daumann

____________ _________ _________ __

To: STMFC@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, November 16, 2009 8:15:16 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars

Al,
I'm working on transcribing what some refer to as a jumbo book, it is a log of cars received and forwarded at Bieber 1947, Oct-Dec.
The log book is ordered by the last two digits, with in a pair of pages it is ordered by the last 3 digits of the car number.
so *02 covers cars where the last two digits are 02, clear as mud?

If you look in the files section, you will some detailed ones that end in 00
( http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/STMFC/ files/gn% 20wp%20station% 20log%20bieber% 20/ )
--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

Sent: Sun, November 15, 2009 11:19:02 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars

Greetings,
I'm new to the group, does this refer to an earlier discussion? I model a freelanced road that interchanges with the GN at Bieber (Nubieber) in the late 1940s. I'm always looking for new / addtional information.

What does *02 cars stand for?

Al Daumann

Sent: Sun, November 15, 2009 8:31:00 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Bieber 1947 4th quarter *02 cars

cars numbers ending with 02 at Bieber 4th quarter out of 259
GN - 40 - tho 2 cars make up 30 entries, with 2-5 day cycle times.
ATsf - 29
Rg/DRG - 28
SP - 17
PFE - 14
Pa/PRR - 12
BO - 8
CBQ - 7
NYC - 7
UTLX -7
IC - 5
RI - 5
Sou - 5
UP - 5
WP - 5
TCX -4
CO - 3
CSVX - 3 (all same car)
DLW - 3
FGE - 3
GATX - 3
LN - 3
Milw - 3
REX - 3
SCCX - 3
strays - ACL,ART,BLE, CGW,CEI,CNW, CRP,CRR, Erie, HTCX, MP, NH, NKP,
NP, NS, NW, PM, Pmcky (SF)Rd , SAL, SLSF, UCR, Wab, WLE

Allen Rueter
while watching the Packers win :)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.